Friday 1 December 2023

Christina of Denmark (On Holbein's Painting) -
Josie Turner

 


The Queen must be beautiful, I understand.
    Even a candidate must have qualities
    not insulting to the throne. The King's hand
    discriminates. I've watched it hovering
    over this canvas or that, assessing
    fearful calculated veracity.

    

I made her beautiful, to be worth the trip.
    It worked - the likeness endures,
    clear of cast and sensuous of lip;
    my warnings heeded. The court is wise.
    

The girl's writhing hands and very shadow advise
    of my three hours bent to her allure.

    The sable collar of her mourning coat
    lolls like a noose, its falling swags
    disguise her form, my lady floats
    across the vermilion floor (I stood her
    on two books). Her smile recurs.
    

One husband down, gloves twisted to wet rags,

    eyes that never leave me, sardonic
    brow that never falls, a face
    propped like a mask on a stiffened tunic -
    my silence as I knelt, Henry's silence,
    the caw of birds, the signalled violence -
    the blackened edges of her exquisite lace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries-De-La-Mer (On Van Gogh's painting) 
- Jude Goodwin

One of these boats carried Mary,     put to sea by the Romans,     the crying woman, hands wrapped with rags     that smell of myrrh. And...