Monday, 14 September 2026

Because I could not stop for Death by Emily Dickinson

 

Because I could not stop for Death  
He kindly stopped for me  
The carriage held but just ourselves  
And immortality. 
 

We slowly drove he knew no haste 
And I had put away 
My labor and my leisure too, 
For his civility  
 

We passed the school, where children strove 
 in the ring  
We passed the fields of gazing grain  
We passed the setting sun  
 

Or rather he passed us  
The dews drew quivering and chill  
For only gossamer, my gown  
My tippet only tulle  
 

We paused before a house that seemed 
A swelling of the ground  
The roof was scarcely visible  
The cornice in the ground  
 

Since then 'tis centuries and yet 
Feels shorter than the day 
I first surmised the horses' heads 
Were toward eternity  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because I could not stop for Death by Emily Dickinson

  Because I could not stop for Death     He kindly stopped for me     The carriage held but just ourselves     And immortality.     We slow...